Motor Vehicle Insurance FAQs

Below are some FAQs that will help you learn more about Motor Vehicle Insurance. If you have a question that isn’t covered below, please contact us on 0800 887 637 or email is

Motor Vehicle Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the underwriter?

Our Motor Vehicle Insurance is underwritten by DPL Insurance Limited. Find out about their Financial Strength Rating.

If I need to cancel my policy, can I get a refund?

If a policy is cancelled shortly after commencement, you may be eligible for a refund.  Call us on 0800 674 678 to discuss your policy with us.

I’ve moved house. How do I update my policy address with you?

You can call us on 0800 674 678 and we’ll be happy to change the contact address we have for you.

How do I make a motor vehicle insurance claim?

If you’ve had an accident or your car has been stolen, phone 0800 674 678 to get AA Roadservice and assistance with your claim. Our motor vehicle insurance claims are managed by Gallagher Bassett - the largest multi-disciplinary third party claims administrator in New Zealand.

It’s important to do these things before making your claim:

  • ensure everyone is safe and contact emergency services if anyone has been injured in an accident
  • notify the police if your car has been stolen or maliciously damaged (note the police record report number and officer details)
  • take all reasonable care to prevent further loss or liability.

5 Simple Steps to Making a Claim (based on your claim being accepted)

1. Call us and complete the appropriate claim form.

2. We'll contact you within 24 hours of receiving your claim form to discuss your claim or give you your claim number.

3. You take your car to a reputable repairer of your choice and give them your claim number. They'll take photos of the damage and email them to us with a quote to repair your car.

4. We’ll appoint an independent assessor to ensure quality repairs and costs are fair and reasonable.

5. We’ll manage the process and payments with the repairer, and keep you updated on progress.

What if my windscreen or window gets smashed?

If this is the only damage to your car contact a reputable glass company. Give them your policy number and tell them your insurance is with us. They’ll contact us so that we can confirm the repair and make the payment to them. If you have an excess on your policy it will not apply to this claim, so you will not have to pay anything yourself towards the repair. Your premiums will not increase as a result of this claim.

How long will my claim take once the repairer has provided their quote and images?

Once your claim is accepted repair should start within 48 hours.

Someone drove into my car, what do I do?

It’s important to get as much information from them as possible e.g. drivers full name, drivers licence no, address, phone number, car registration, insurance company (if any). If you’re not at fault for the accident and we have other person’s details, we may waive your excess.

What if I caused the accident and the other person wants to make a claim against me?

Do not admit fault for the damage/accident and do not promise to pay for any costs. Tell them we’re your insurance company and they can call us on 0800 674 678.