Mechanical Breakdown Insurance FAQs

Below are some FAQs that will help you learn more about Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. If you have a question that isn’t covered below, please contact us on 0800 887 637 or email is

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Mechanical Breakdown Insurance?

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is an insurance policy that protects you from unexpected costs in the event that your car has a sudden and unforseen breakdown.

Cover is available for standard, non-standard, special and prestige vehicles.  Some vehicles including USA manufactured and qualifying European vehicles require an additional premium to be paid. Speak to one of our financial consultants for more information about the type of vehicles covered, special conditions and pricing which apply.

Does the policy include the cost of both parts and labour?

Yes. The cover is comprehensive and includes parts and labour, towing, AA roadservice & 24/7 breakdown assistance, plus accommodation and rental car costs for out of town breakdowns. Speak to one of our Finance and Insurance consultants for more information about the components and services included in the cover.

Do I need to service my car?

Yes. It is a condition of the policy that you comply with the first service and ongoing service requirements which must be carried out by an independent service centre. As a guide it would normally be every 10,000km or 15,000km or 12 months. This requirement will be noted in the policy document. 

If there is no service history with the vehicle, Turners recommend having the service done soon after purchase as best practise. 

Full service requirements, including information on who can service your car, are outlined in the policy terms. We recommend that all vehicles be serviced in order to maintain safety and reliability, whether they have a mechanical breakdown policy or not. 

What is an excess?

An excess is the amount you are required to pay in respect of each unrelated claim. Every policy has an excess. 

Is my policy refundable or transferable?

Conditions apply. After that it is not refundable but yes at our discretion, we may permit the transfer of it to the new owner if you sell the vehicle privately during the policy period. A small transfer fee would apply. Please refer to the policy wording for full terms and conditions.

How much does the policy cost?

We have a number of policy options, so the premium will depend on the make/model of vehicle, the age and mileage, the term of cover and excess option selected. Speak to one of our Finance & Insurance  consultants at any Turners branches to discuss the best vehicle protection for you.

Can my policy be renewed after it has expired?

Yes, provided there are no inherent faults with your vehicle at that time. We reserve the right to request a vehicle inspection report to confirm the vehicle is in sound mechanical condition prior to allowing its renewal. Speak with one of our Finance & Insurance  consultants at any Turners branches about renewing your policy.

Can I get Mechanical Breakdown Insurance if I didn’t buy my car from Turners?

Yes. You can get Mechanical Breakdown Insurance for any vehicle, even if you didn’t buy it at Turners.  Mechanical Breakdown Insurance can also be included in your Turners Finance loan.

To find out more about Turners Finance and how to apply, please visit there is a lot of helpful information including application forms, booking a no obligation consultation and a loan calculator.

How can I get Mechanical Breakdown Insurance?

You can get insurance at any 11 Turners Cars branches nationwide. Speak to one of our Finance & Insurance consultants to discuss the best vehicle protection for you. 

Mechanical Breakdown Insurance can also be included in your Turners Finance loan. To find out more about Turners Finance and how to apply, please visit

Can I get Mechanical Breakdown Insurance with my loan?

Yes. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance can be included in your Turners Finance loan. To find out more about Turners Finance and how to apply, please visit

Who is the underwriter?

Our Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is underwritten by DPL Insurance Limited. Find out about their Financial Strength Rating.

If I need to cancel my policy, can I get a refund?

If a policy is cancelled shortly after commencement, you may be eligible for a refund.  Call us on 0800 674 678 to discuss your policy with us.

I’ve moved house. How do I update my policy address with you?

You can call us on 0800 674 678 and we’ll be happy to change the contact address we have for you.

How do I make a mechanical breakdown insurance claim?

If you’ve had an accident or your car has been stolen, phone 0800 674 678 to get AA Roadservice and assistance with your claim.

It’s important to do these things before making your claim:

  • take all reasonable care to prevent further loss or liability
  • take or have your car towed to a local reputable repairer
  • give the repairer our name and your policy number
  • ensure the repairer contacts us to receive authorisation before starting any repairs on your car.

5 Simple Steps to Making a Claim (based on your claim being accepted)

1. Contact AA Roadside Assistance on 0800 674 678 or online to take the car to a reputable repairer.

2. Tell the repairer you’re insured with us and give them your policy number. They’ll diagnose the problem and send a report and quote to us, along with any other relevant information e.g. service history.

3. You may be required to authorise the dismantling of the car if it’s required to determine if there is a valid claim. If so, we or the repairer will request your authority before this is done. We may appoint an independent assessor to ensure quality repairs and costs are fair and reasonable.

4. You will be contacted promptly by us or the repairer, after we’ve received the assessment, to discuss your claim.

5. We’ll manage the process and payments with the repairer, and keep you updated on progress.

We’re here to help, so please feel free to call us on 0800 674 678 or email us at with any questions.

Will all of my claim be covered?

There are exclusions for maintenance related issues or serviceable items. Please check your policy for a detailed list of exclusions.

If a repairer needs to dismantle the car, who will pay for the cost?

You would be responsible for the initial dismantling cost until the cause of the breakdown is known. If the cause means that your claim is accepted, we will pay for this cost.