Car Insurance FAQs

Below are some FAQs that will help you learn more about Car Insurance. If you have a question that isn’t covered below, please contact us on 0800 887 637 or email is

Car Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Who is the underwriter?

Our Car Insurance is underwritten by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited. Find out about their Financial Strength Rating.

If I need to cancel my policy, can I get a refund?

You may at any time cancel your policy by giving us notice in writing. If you request cancellation, your policy is not refundable unless cancelled within 15 days of the start of the period of insurance.

I’ve moved house. How do I update my policy address with you?

You can call us on 0800 276 873 and we’ll be happy to change the contact address we have for you.

How can I make a premium payment by credit card?

You can pay online directly to Vero with your credit or debit card. Please use your Customer PRN and policy number as the reference.

How do I make a car insurance claim?

If you’ve had an accident or your car has been stolen, phone 0800 227 787 to get assistance with your claim. Our car insurance claims are managed by Vero Insurance New Zealand Limited.

It’s important to do these things before making your claim:

  • ensure everyone is safe and contact emergency services if anyone has been injured in an accident
  • notify the police if your car has been stolen or maliciously damaged (note the police record report number and officer details)
  • take all reasonable care to prevent further loss or liability.

4 Simple Steps to Making a Claim (based on your claim being accepted)

1. Call us with your registration and policy number to lodge your claim.

2. You take your car to a reputable repairer and give them your claim number. They'll take photos of the damage and email them to us with a quote to repair your car.

3. Your car will be assessed to ensure quality repairs and costs are fair and reasonable.

4. We’ll manage the process and payments with the repairer, and keep you updated on progress.

What if my windscreen or window is damaged?

If this is the only damage to your car phone 0800 227 787 to lodge your claim and find a reputable glass company to repair the damage. Depending on the policy you have with us you may have to pay an excess if the windscreen needs replacing.

Someone drove into my car, what do I do?

It’s important to get as much information from them as possible e.g. drivers full name, drivers licence no, address, phone number, car registration, insurance company (if any). If you’re not at fault for the accident and we have other person’s details, we may waive your excess.

What if I caused the accident and the other person wants to make a claim against me?

Do not admit fault for the damage/accident and do not promise to pay for any costs. Tell them we’re your insurance company and they can call us on 0800 227 787.