Turners welcomes you to New Zealand and hopes you enjoy your stay here. The best way to experience New Zealand is by driving around the country. Turners is the best place to buy a great value used car, but there a few things you need to know, please read all the details on this page carefully.
Turners is a trusted New Zealand brand, but purchasing a car does require you to take responsibility to check the car your buying is suitable for what you intend to use it for. We don’t own most of the cars we sell, we provide a market place and do our best to ensure both buyers and sellers are happy.
IEP is a member organisation specialising in bringing young working holiday makers to New Zealand and assisting them with their travel and working needs. IEP is proud to partner with Turners to offer a dedicated and hassle-free car purchasing scheme helping IEP members become fully prepared for their journey around New Zealand.
Exclusive to all IEP buyers, Turners are offering a $40 discount off the 12 month Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI), you will need to present your IEP membership card to secure this discount.
Please Note: To be eligible for standard Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) policy, the vehicle must meet certain criteria. These criteria include:
- Not a European or American make (e.g. Audi, BMW, Peugeot, Jaguar, Cadillac, Chevrolet)
- Not a diesel, electric or hybrid vehicle
- Not a super-charged engine
- Must be a model year of 2000 or newer
- Odometer less than 225,000 km
There are some criteria where only some makes and models are covered by this policy:
- Only some 4 wheel drive cars are included
- Only some vehicles with turbo-charged vehicles are included
Your sales consultant will be able to assist further with specific vehicles inquiries.
Information for IEP buyers
As an IEP visitor we understand you are after a lower priced vehicle, this means you will have to sacrifice something to get a low price. We assume reliability isn’t one of these, while we can’t guarantee this, there are some steps you can take and you can also add some protection by way of mechanical breakdown insurance – just in case and for peace of mind.
1) We have provided a search link below, that will allow you to find cars we currently have in stock at the lower end of the market, all the cars shown in this search are eligible for you to purchase mechanical breakdown insurance. As an IEP customer, we are offering a $40 discount on this product (for 12 months protection).
2) You should check the car for faults. On most cars we have carried out a superficial check of the vehicle looking for obvious problems, we call this a 'Pre-purchase Condition Check', it highlights faults we have found with the vehicle. We also have onsite independent vehicle inspectors, who can carry out a more extensive check for a fee.
Our website has extensive search capabilities. You can use to filter to your preference, for example, manual or automatic transmission, features such as air-conditioning (be sure to check the pre-purchase condition report to see if this working), towbar and so on.
Once you have found a car(s) that meets your requirements, you can come in to view and test drive the vehicle prior to purchase.
Additional benefits of buying from Turners;
1) Our cars are cheap - less than retail. 35% of sales are to dealers who then sell them at their yards and add a profit
2) We have a huge range of vehicles, we sell around 1,000 cars a week, so our stock changes daily
3) We have branches across New Zealand, so you will be able to sell your vehicle when you have finished with it very quickly at any time at any one of our locations:
- Auckland (Penrose or North Shore)
- Palmerston North
d) A trusted and reputable company that has been in business for nearly 50 years
Okay, so you’re buying a car, with this comes some responsibilities. If not handled correctly, a motor vehicle can present danger to you or others.
The following are some of the more important things you should know before driving on New Zealand roads. Please note, if you drive illegally, including not displaying a current warrant of fitness and registration (see below) you will incur a fine. Some laws if broken can lead to imprisonment and or confiscation of your vehicle.
As you should already be aware, we drive on the left hand side of the road, if you are used to driving on the right, then you need to take extra care at intersections and turning corners. Many of our road rules differ from other countries, so you will need to familiarise yourself with New Zealand’s road rules.
New Zealand law requires that all cars have a current Warrant of Fitness (WoF), this a check carried out by a certified mechanic to check a car for safety and roadworthiness. It is not a check on the mechanical condition of the engine or transmission, quality or the reliability of vehicle.
It is your responsibility to ensure you keep the WOF up to date. If it expires during your ownership you must visit a service station/garage or testing station to apply for a new one. This involves the car being inspected so you may need to make an appointment. Also note that prices vary so you may wish to shop around. We recommend you use a testing station as they are impartial (as they cannot make vehicle repairs).
Below are links to organisations that can test and issue a warrant of fitness and have locations around New Zealand:
It is your responsibility and choice on how you maintain your vehicle, but we recommend at the bare minimum, you should check the following regularly:
- Lubricant levels, especially engine oil
- Coolant levels, for example the radiator
- Tyre condition including tyre pressure, tread depth and damage (these are checked as part of the WoF
- Window washer fluid, good visibility is key to safe driving, a clean windscreen is essential. We recommend you ensure the window washer mechanism is working and the fluid tanks are full with an appropriate fluid
The New Zealand Government requires you keep your vehicle registration up to date. This requires a fee to be paid at an appropriate licensing agent and your vehicle must have a current WoF to be able to be registered.
You can do this at a variety of locations including;
All auction vehicles have a Turners buyers fee applied on top of the purchase price. This guarantees that the car is being sold by the rightful owner and has no finance owing. View our buyers fees.
Buyers fees is included in vehicles with Buy Now price.
It’s the fastest way to sell your car. We accept all vehicles.
Simply bring your car into any Turners branch for a free valuation and appraisal and we’ll give you a cash offer.